Days of Work: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday
Languages spoken: English
Sarah McGowan is a Registered Speech and Language Pathologist (SLP) by the College of Speech and Hearing Health Professionals of BC (CSHBC) and a member of Speech-Language and Audiology Canada (SAC) and Speech and Hearing BC. She is also fully certified by the Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists (RCSLT) and the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) in the U.K. Sarah is on the Registry of Autism Service Providers (RASP) in B.C.
Sarah received her Masters degree in Speech and Language Therapy from Reading University in the U.K in 2013. She began her SLP career working in a school for children aged 8 – 16 years old with special educational needs. She then joined the National Health Service for 2.5 years, working with preschoolers and their families before moving to Vancouver in 2017.
Sarah has special interests in early intervention, speech sound disorders and Autism Spectrum Disorder. The connection between play skills and language development is at the heart of her practice and she considers herself a play- based therapist.
Sarah strongly believes that parents and caregivers are the primary agents of change when it comes to a child’s speech, language and communication development. She strives to deliver a child and family-centred service that centres around individualised, functional goals and parent and caregiver coaching.
Sarah has completed the following advanced training:
- PROMPT Intro Level – for children with moderate to severe speech sound disorders
- More Than Words – The Hanen Program® for Parents of Children with Autism Spectrum
Disorder or Social Communication Difficulties
- PECS (Picture Exchange Communication System) Level 1 – an alternative and augmentative communication approach for people with significant expressive communication difficulties
- Social Thinking - for improving social competencies
- Palin Parent-Child Interaction Therapy – an intervention for children who stutter
-Gestalt Language Processing and Natural Language Acquisition Trained Clinician
In her free time Sarah enjoys reading, hiking, skiing and spending time with her friends, family and dog Bumble!